Friday, July 25, 2008

Young spin bowlers

I'm probably going to take some stick for this post but I'm a big believer that young spin bowlers should use "Action Cricket" as a way to work on their accuracy and delivery.

I was a leg-spinner and my biggest problem was that I simply had no control of where the ball was going to come out. I'd walk in, hope, pray and spew... Sometimes it worked and sometimes it went spectacularly wrong.

After I stopped practicing seriously I started playing a lot more action cricket and I found the more I played, the tighter my accuracy and control became.

Relaxed atmosphere, a 1 step run up and a flat throw down of the ball that provided an ENJOYABLE contest between batter and bowler.

It's important to note here that many spin bowlers who are over-coached, lose their ability to flight the ball. Too much flat action cricket bowling will increase this problem. Special sessions should also be included to include flighted control so that the spin bowler does not lose the "shape" of their action.

No comments: