Friday, April 9, 2010

Losing its lustre?

As a South African cricket fan, I have been a little disappointed by the Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket this year and I can't put my finger on why?

I'm not sure whether it has become a little gimmicky or what but I've noticed this year that the quality of the cricket has not been particularly high. I watched the game with the Kings Punjab XI couldn't catch a cold, let alone a cricket ball.

Don't get me wrong - Matt Hayden and "The Mongoose" is a little innovative and something to at least keep the crowds a little entertained but not sure its enough to keep the fans coming back.

Some of the images from the games I've watched seemed to show that the grounds were a little emptier than they were in previous years? But now there are supposedly two new franchises coming in to play in 2011 - are they not diluting the brands which have been built over the last few years?

Surely it is only now that the brands and franchises are starting to build international fan bases?

Not sure whether it is a fair comparison but a few years ago there was quite a strong "Masters" setup in tennis where a lot of the players who were at the ends of their professional careers were involved in a league. The tennis wasn't the fastest or hardest but the players had fun and the crowds enjoyed it. The question for me is whether or not this is where the IPL is headed - a social graveyard where players go to have a bit of fun before they retire?

Dunno? Thoughts on the IPL?

World's largest online scratch games. Over 40 games. Every 3rd card wins! Click Here

No comments: