Friday, November 28, 2008

Francois Plaatjies - Interesting young SA bowler


I haven't watched much in the way of SA domestic cricket, but last night I watched a bit of the Cape Cobras against the Free State Eagles.

Watching the game last night, an interesting cricketer stood out for - Francois Plaatjies.

Plaatjies is a right arm quick bowler. When I first watched him bowl, my immediate reaction was nah he's got a very slingy action (check his back foot when he delivers the ball.)

Typically I prefer a quick bowler with a more upright action, but when I saw the pace at which Plaatjies was delivering the ball, I got interested.

Bowling with the white ball under lights, he was regularly delivering the ball at 142km/h - 148km/h.

He sprayed the ball around a bit - but at 22, he's still got some time to develop into a quick.

Think he has some potential to be a nice addition to the SA 'A' and SA ODI squad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trust me, he usually bowls faster.. we lived close to each other in his hometown.. and we're both at uwc.

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Nice to get some feedback from somebody who's familiar with him...

Looks useful enough