Sunday, May 17, 2009

Has the IPL been a success?

So has the DLF Indian Premier League (IPL) been a success in South Africa? I think this is the big question everybody is asking as the tournament winds down into its final week.

Personal opinion is - HELL YES...

I think the tournament has captured the imagination of both the traditional cricketing public as well as those who were not regular supporters of the game. I think the carnival atmosphere and the "franchise" system (as opposed to SA versus X) has also been a bit of fun as it as appealed to a wider local cricketing audience.

That says nothing about the quality of the social initiatives that the IPL has introduced in terms of their education grants that they dish out nice and liberally.

I have to take my hat off to the organisers, I think they've done a great service to South African sport.

No comments: