Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Ashes musings...

With their being a bit of a lull in South African cricket this week, I've decided to take a look at The Ashes series and weigh up the two sides.

I have made my feelings on the English team pretty clear on this blog - I don't think they are collectively good enough to be competitive against the Aussies unless Pontings guys throw it away.

Comparing batting lineups
England: Strauss, Cook, Pietersen, Shah, Collingwood
Australia: Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Hughes (presumably), Katich

(Depending on the make-up of the Aussie side in terms of the Haddin role and what role the sides identify for their all-rounders in their line-up.)

Let's be honest - It's a no-brainer in terms of which side I would prefer bowling to. Man for man the English cannot compare to the Aussie test batters.

Comparing keepers:
England: Prior (PS another South African born player) - Test average - 39 from 14 tests
Australia: Haddin - Test average 38 from 12 tests.

I have to be honest I like Haddin. He's a pain in the ass to bowl to, he's tough and he is versatile giving the Aussies a lot to play with. Weigh up what Haddin delivered against South Africa and you begin to appreciate what he brings to the squad.

Comparing allrounders
England: Flintoff
Australia: Andrew McDonald

Flintoff offers more to England than I believe McDonald does but it is still early days for the Australian in his career. But its a serious workload for Freddie to be carrying across the duration of the Ashes - top 6 batter plus a full bowling load. It is hard to expect the best from him for the length of the series.

Comparing attacks
England: Sidebottom, Anderson, Broad, Swann, Harmison
Australia: Johnson, Siddle, Hauritz, Watson, Stuart Clarke, Bracken, Lee (if fit)

With due respect to the English bowlers, the Aussies would look to pack a lot more firepower and this is why I believe they will dominate the series.

Thoughts? Comments?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

decent comparisons. Hmm not so sure about the All rounders yet. Wato or Symo might be back by then, who knows. Yes, collectively they do lack the "umph!" but I don't think I would write England off because they are pretty good in their own backyard. Still to early to call anything.

I am a bit surprised about your post, I thought you would be gearing up for the SA/AUS series? :) I won't be able to follow it as much because the timings are pretty screwed up for me :( Will be checking the scores and highlights though.

Anonymous said...

Howzit.. Yip will gear back into the exciting cricket in the next few days!

Just hope this bloody rain stays away and we get a FAST Wanderers pitch...

Anonymous said...

are there chances of rain? it is still about a week away.

Anonymous said...

I dunno I live about 15 minutes from the Wanderers and we've had no shortage of rain in the last three weeks!

The last week has been ok though - overcast but rain free during the day and then a downpour in the evening

Redboy said...

Very funny with comment about Hughes, I agree. In relation to Brett Lee the goss that I have is he is well ahead of schedule in recovery and should all things going according to plan be available for the ashes. Stuart Clark unsure its pretty tight lipped over here at the moment about him, other than his elbow injury suffered another blow and he was unavailable for the tour over in your neck of the woods.
Keep up the posting I like the way you right, its a good read.

Redboy said...

That would be I like the way you write. Another day another spelling or gramatical error here laughs.

Anonymous said...

It's all good - we're not sensitive about how guys post their comments - welcome Redboy!

Ian said...

Hey Marc

Cool article man, I didn't even see it.
Weather will be fine in Joburg I reckon as long as there aren't any of the warmer climate summer thunder showers.

Like the forecast attitude you taking on. The Ashes side will be interesting. This series is a huge element of a decider! Especially with as mentioned a number of the senior's on the edge of the seats to get over to England.

Anonymous said...

Howdy Ian... Still pi$$in down here as I post. With any luck it will be out the system by the time the test rolls around