Friday, February 13, 2009

Top Test Venues

The fun and games with the second England vs. West Indies test match got me thinking about Test venues around the world.

Despite being an avid cricket fan, my live cricket viewing experience has been limited to South African venues like Centurion Park and the Wanderers... I can even proudly say I've batted on the main strip at the Wanderers and got a score of 8!

But watching the Australian series, I had such an urge to get on a plane and go and watch some of the cricket at the SCG, MCG and Gabba.

Lords would also be nice just to say - Been There, Done That.

Cricket in the West Indies wouldn't be too bad either methinks... provided you actually get to watch some cricket!

I wonder a bit what cricket in India would be like... the atmosphere looks like nothing we in South Africa or Australia could ever replicate...

I dunno - do our readers have any recommendations or "Must visit" places for cricket fans?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog marc!

Well lets see...I would love to watch a game at MCG and SCG in Australia during Boxing Day test. I'm not so sure I would like to watch a game in England because it just rains and is quite depressing most of the time, but Lords would be my choice during the Ashes maybe. I think watching games in India would be just amazing. I don't think you can get anything electrifying than that. The closest I ever got to such atmosphere was when I use to watch cricket tournaments at Sharjah Stadium. Pakistan/India matches were unfreakinbelievable back then. There were times when I use to get home full of adrenaline and use to take me a long time to get some sleep.

Is wanderers stadium the one that is next to the mountains? if it is then that is the one I would love to go to. I remember watching the Australian games last time, and it looked absolutely beautiful during the early hours of the morning, when the sun shines through the mountains. beautiful sight! Similarly, there are small but beautiful grounds in New Zealand as well but in terms of actual enjoyment and fun factor, anything in India would be amazing, mostly during the ODIs or T20s. Tests would be boring because it does get really hot there.

As far as the pitches are concerned, there are a few if none left in the world that would allow for an even contest between bat and ball. for instance, it would be boring to watch a TEST match in India because most of them are either dead pitches by the 3rd day or batsmen are dominating way too much. Australian pitches are going towards that route as well. Bowlers have to battle it out and it just gets boring. As a spectator, I would like to see an even contest because I'm paying alot of money and investing alot time for these matches. If we end up watching batsmen playing all day long, it seriously gets boring sometimes and if it ends up in a dull draw, then you are really frustrated! :)

Once again good post!

Anonymous said...

The one with the mountain and the brewery in the background is in Cape Town - Newlands... Beautiful ground!

Wanderers is the big one in Johannesburg - The Bullring - far more enclosed and less picturesque but still quite an atmosphere when its pumping.

Fair comment about the pitches... Yeah India could be tempting... Think Lords would be great for a once-off just to say "Been there, done that"...