Saturday, July 4, 2009

Ashes betting

One of the greatest cricketing rivalries is finally here - The Ashes sees a very average English side up against an Australian side in transition.

It is obviously early days at the moment and a lot of people are pointing to the last time the Australians toured England but I have a feeling that this time will be different for a whole lot of reasons.

  • This English side (Pietersen and Strauss) aside are not the same quality of that previous English team
  • The last time England had Steve Harmison firing on all cylinders and his ability to move the ball wrecked the Aussies - I don't see an English bowler offering the same time this around
  • The Aussies are here on a mission and have had a hard series against the South Africans to harden up their bowlers and find out what they have
  • Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee and Peter Siddle are in a different calibre to the English attack

Which bring us to the betting offered on this series.

Value bets that I picked up are:

  1. Australia to win by 3-0, 4-0 and 5-0. World Sports Betting are offering 8/1, 10/1 and 16/1 respectively and not the worst bets around. I particularly like the first two
  2. Top Aussie batter - Ponting tops the odds at 2/1 but I think Katich and Mike Hussey at 4/1 are better value
  3. Top English batter - I don't see how you can look beyond Kevin Pietersen at 2.2/1 but Freddie Flintoff at 10/1 might not be a bad punt...

Would be great to see the Aussies make mincemeat of the Poms on this tour....

2 comments:

Jawad said...

hey marc!

hope you are doing well. Yeah, I'd like to see some ass kicking from the Aussies but i would like a bit of fight too, from the English! :)
I would like to see them win the first test and put the Aussies on the backfoot, just to make it a little interesting.

Marc said...

I see Brett Lee has been injured... Pity I was thinking he would have made a serious dent in the English batting lineup on current form...

Let's go Aussie