Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In mourning

I'm in mourning... a test match loss and two losses in the T20 format of the game...

Ok not really but I guess all the South African fans have felt a little disappointed having been on the losing side after the success of the test series.

JP Duminy (pictured) was again brilliant but didn't really get much in the way of support from the rest of the lineup.

While T20 is a bit of hit and giggle format of the game. I guess I am also a little confuzzled about how the South African management have approached these games and a couple of my questions come back to the Kenya and Bangladeshi warm up series.

1. We know that Dale Steyn and Makhaya Ntini are world class bowlers capable of bowling in either format of the game against the best in the world.

2. We DON'T however know whether Parnell and Tsotsobe are good enough yet and how successful left arm seamers are as part of the SA make-up - so why not give them a consistent role in the ODI format.

3. We DON'T know who the backup to Boucher is and whether or not he could do with a break. Maybe a few games off to recharge the batteries.

4. Mckenzie is picked for the side and then as wickets started falling yesterday he gets shunted down the order. He is a known quantity - Why not give somebody like Andrew Puttick a run? And while you're at it, why not shove Van Jaarsveld to the top of the order so we can test out an alternative opener?

I appreciate that not much can be read into T20 cricket but still I wonder a bit about the "bigger picture" planning here. I've gotten the sense that this is a big shortfall of Mickey Arthur and hopefully management keeps his eye on the ball...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your topic and Duminy's photograph under it, and I thought for a while that Duminy has had an unfortunate accident or something.

I think you have made some good point here. I've been thinking about some of these experienced players and their replacements, if ever, an injury takes place. I think, not just in ODIs but in all formats of the game, there aren't many that could replace players like Boucher, Kallis, Ntini or Steyn. I can see Boucher having a day off with De Villers taking on the gloves department. Lets say Kallis retires in a year, whose next?

What do you do? I think the best possible scenario would be to actually give these new players a chance and get some experience under their belt. What I've seen throughout this series and last few that SA has played, they have not given some of these younger players a chance. Some of them I haven't even heard off. How do you expect them to take on Australia with 35 to 40 thousand people cheering against them?

Arthur gave a statement a while back about taking two years to prepare for this test series? sounds like a bit of obsession to me. How about continuing with your rebuilding process and find some replacement players and give them a chance in ODIs and T20s and develop a stronger bench strength as well. I don't think I heard of any of them in the England ODI series that took place, which was lost 5 - 0. It would've been nice to see them or any for that matter, been given a chance to play.

I don't think T20 should be looked into that much. I still see it as an entertainment. I am just quite surprised with the way the SA ODI team has performed. I don't think you can expect these players to perform every time they get out there. SA needs to give these younger players a chance and remain patient. Duminy has been given a longer run and has proved wonders. Amla did not start very well but they stuck with him and now he is probably one of my favorite players in the SA line up.

Anonymous said...

Mckenzie seems like a conservative player and is better suited for the test arena.

I agree with you on giving them a more consistent run. Parnell has only played one game. He is tall and its been heard he swings the ball in. T20 is no place to really see how good he is. I say, he should be given a chance in the ODI series. Same goes for Tsotsobe.

Anonymous said...

EXACTLY!

The guys need a proper run in the side and given a chance to build up some international experience.

We bowled guys like Steyn and Ntini throughout the Bangladesh and Kenya series and pointed to the strength of the bowling attack. Big wow - we know what the guys can do.

We used the Kenya & Bangladesh series to use Kleinveldt and Louw and then decided they weren't going to play a role in Aus. Parnell and Tsotsobe should have had a run here. Same for Dillon Du Preez

Same for Van Jaarsveld. No opportunities for Puttick either.

McKenzie has no idea what his ODI role is at the moment and it will contribute to poor form with the bat.

Dunno it just seems like a plan is missing.