Friday, March 27, 2009

Bit of a lottery but we will take it

.... 1-0 to the good guys... but geez I'm convinced we still don't really get this T20 format of the game.

Let's be honest, if Albie Morkel hadn't blasted us in the middle of the innings there (AGAIN) we'd have been beaten convincingly after a pretty decent bowling performance.

I thought David Hussey played amazingly well for the Aussies and I'm kicking myself - I could have gotten GREAT odds putting money on him to be the top batter and I had been tempted to do it. Backed him a coupla times in Oz and missed out but I had a good feeling about him yesterday.

Oh well!

Thought the value of spin / bowlers who can take the pace off the ball was well displayed here tonight on a pitch that normally provides fast and bouncy conditions. Robin Peterson, Johan Botha and David Hussey all got to grips (scuse the pun) with how to bowl and their figures proved it.

Wayne Parnell - how well did he bowl?! Did anyone check the speeds he was bowling - definately gathering some confidence and I hope he gets given an extended run in the ODI format of the game - like Mitchell Johnson has proven - the value of a quality left-arm seamer in your side cannot be doubted.

Johan Botha - Another solid performance from the SA T20 captain. This is another under-rated SA cricketer and HE seems to have worked out how to play this type of cricket - he's just got to get his batters to understand how to think their way through the game!

Robin Peterson - I'm not a big Robin Peterson fan but last night he put in a good performance. He bowled accurately, fielded well and in general made a good contribution. It is going to be interesting to see how his role is defined in the the team.

No comments: