Sunday, March 29, 2009

Disappointing

"Marc - if I want to watch a batsman close his eyes and swing at the ball, I'd invite you up to the school nets here hand out some beers and put a bat in your hand - I'm switching this kak off..."

This was the text message I got this evening from one of my mates watching the second T20 game between South Africa and Australia at Centurion this evening. He was referring to the innings played by new boy Roelof VD Merwe.

Got to be honest, I was SMS'ing him exactly the same message...

I don't like to be disparaging of an international cricketer - and I actually think he could be a nice guy in the SA squad - but his innings was a highlight of what is wrong with T20 cricket.

(and more specifically what is wrong with SA's approach to T20)

Seriously the guy was aiming at launching the ball over mid-wicket and its landing over the covers. Nothing to be proud of....

We still haven't got our approach to T20 batting right... will be interesting to see how we finish up this tour here...

Another cheap score for Ponting - surely a case for him to have been rested for these two games??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm Good work. have you seen this new blog on IPL http://ipl-cricket-2009.blogspot.com ? It has some good news on the IPL and seems to be updated. I wonder what will be the news when the matches start.

Ian said...

Marc, he is a player of your team, but the way some have dubbed his innings as 'great' is far off.
Was bloody aweful watching that bloke bat, but he must have better days at the office, and he seems a decent guy! Had a few close calls too. Robin Peterson by far the most impressive, minus his pull shots. I know he has opened in T20 cricket, but the squads were both a bit imbalanced last night.

Have a new post up on last nights game, with a fair bit of unfortunate moaning.

Marc said...

He looks like he has a great attitude - a proper scrapper - I just didn't like the way he batted. He closed his eyes and swung - not a good advert for T20.... I'd' far rather watch Gibbs knocking them to all corners than a guy going about with a swing and pray attitude....